Thursday, December 29, 2005

Christmas, New Year and A phone call

When I got up today, I knew that this was going to be an interesting, happening and a tough day. My to-do list included participation in tug-of-war contest, preparation of skit for the performance round scheduled in the evening and, of course, my work in RTLC. Tug-of-war and performance were part of an intra-mentor inter group competetion where the entire set of employees were classified into 8 teams, basically based on which manager one reports to. This competition was named as Managers' Mahayuddha by the Cornucopia. Box-cricket was also a part of this competition but we were knocked out in the first round itself. So, I didn't have to worry about that when I was coming to office this morning, as if I had less things to worry about!

Our team was already suffering the loss of one of our star performers - Ajeet who had met an minor accident last week and was unable to participate in box-cricket as well as tug-of-war. Then, two of our team-mates, Pankaj & Pradish, went off to Kgp for recruitment. Well, Pankaj is manager and Pradish is also very senior to us. But I have taken the liberty of treating almost everyone as team-mates for the time being. We were the weakest teams in tug-of-war, going by physical appearances. Even the audience suggested that our team should be allowed one more player :-). But when it came to real sport, our team was better than the other team and we had almost one the first round when the tables turned. Because of lack of space, we were not able to pull any more and eventually we lost mometum while the other team gained some... so, we lost there also! But we did put an impressive show.

Next in line was the skit that we were supposed to perform in the evening... along with the sword that was hanging on my head to finish off this project by this weekend and that, if you are mistaken, is tomorrow. We had already decided on theme and had assigned roles to individuals. And everyone of us was supposed to bring out more funny lines for his/her character and, as expected, no one had done it. Everyone of has to get back to his work as soon as he gets back to his seat. We did very little of pratice/rehearsal where we basically mugged up the lines, tried to remember the flow of events and that's it. And we ended up taking away the seond prize! Not bad... certainly not bad, I shall say...thanks to good theme that we had chosen. This is only the second time that I was part of a skit and part of the group that brings up the whole idea of it. And my record has certainly not been bad. We won in the first one (although my role was quite small :-D) and second in this one (I really had to curb my habit of speaking super-fast). Besides the team that won today, deserved to win. They had put in a lot of effort and they had been practising since Monday!!

In box cricket match, we were a team of 6 each. Matches were 6 overs a side. If anyone hits directly out of box, he is out. Other than that, rules were pretty much normal. In our match, we lost 4 wickets very cheaply. At a score of 4 runs in 2 overs. Then me and Rohit took it to 25 in 4.4 overs when Rohit was tempted by a ball wide outside off stump and he hit it outside the box. By the way, 25 was the highest score by any team till then and before us 4 teams have played their innings. However, our bowling was bad and so was fielding. If only Praveen and Ajeet were available, it would been a much better match and I believe that we would have won. But as one of my friends once wrote - "If pots were pans and ... :D"
Oh! I wrote this much and I have still not written anything about its relation with Christmas and New year. Well, we used to have a party every year for Christmas and New Year.. both combined. This year Cornu-copia (This is a team of mentor employees which is into organization of all such parties and events) came up with the idea of this Maha-yuddha. And this was certainly better than having a party where only half the people will turn up. This was much more involving. And we had great 4 days. Oh! Before I forget, belated wishes for the christmas and wishes for a very happy new year to you!!
Just that I see now that I have finish up my project in one day! Oh boy! That's gonna be impossible. I spoke to my manager and the date is extended to Monday. So basically, if I don't finish it off tomorrow, my new year will probably be celebrated with me coding in office. Now, this is not new. This was the same last year as well. Me and Ayan were in office till 3 am on 1st jan 2005. I'm hoping it to be a different story this year.

However above all, I got this phone call from a friend who is going to US in couple of days. We were not in touch for quite a long time, so it was a very pleasant surprise. I would have liked to savour this fact and the good old memories, only if this day was not so hectic :-(. Or should I be happy that I didn't get a chance to think all about it one more time and get sentimental?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quite boringly written about way-too-boring things, is how I see this post. Okay let me wish you back for Xmas (which was terrific on this end :)) and New year (which I won't spend in the office as I have been strictly instructed not to, and neither should you, COME WHAT MAY!).

Hope you have a better time. And hope that you write a more crisp, consice and interesting account of that :D

-- Akshaya