Monday, October 17, 2005

Updates..

It's been 11 days since last post. Well, yeah.. that was not exactly a post. It was just a forward. But for the time being, let's consider that as a post. So, it's been just 11 days since last post. But I have quite a lot to write about what I did in last 11 days, quite opposite to any other 11 days when I am in delhi and when I spend most of my time in office.
We had two days off for Dushehra in office - 11th and 12th, thanks to the large number of people from Bengal and nearby areas in Mentor. I took monday off and went home for 5 days for the much needed break from this hectic schedule. I was to go in Rewa Express since I was, as usual, late for getting a berth in Shram-shakti express which is THE best train to travel between New Delhi and Kanpur. But probably that was for better. I met Prateek and Ravi on the platform. It had been more than 2 years since Prateek & I had not met and that when Noida is his home town and Mohali is not very far away! It was good to see that he is also growing wide and bald just like most of those in software industry :-P. Unfortunately, these two guys didn't have confirm ticket and that meant, without any discussions, that all 3 of us were going to travel on one berth. It was an interesting journey :-), not only because of Prateek and Ravi but also because of an incident that was eye-opener for me. I don't wish to write about that now....may write about that in future. For now, let me just write that I and Prateek had a blast. It was so much fun. Those who already know about the incident, must be able to understand :-).
I landed in Kanpur on 8th, reached home around 8am and after not more than one hour, I was on the way to my village (paternal village, to be precise) with my mom on TVS Victor. It is not a bad bike. In fact, it is really good for anyone who drives in Kanpur. But I had tough time riding it. Reason - gears are exactly opposite in my beloved Honda Unicorn and Victor! I had to be extremely cautious while driving it. And in spite of all the caution, three times I went down on gears when I wanted to go up! :-(. Another problem was those monsoon plants on both sides of the road. Those were 7-8 feet high and the road was not straight for more than 100 mts at any place! It took us around 2 hours to reach there and it was more than enough to miss the 'mundan' (shaving off all the hairs of head) ceremony of my seven month old cousin, considering the fact that we started off approx one hour late from home :-(. But the good part about this trip was that I could meet all of my aunts (3 'bua's and 3 'chachi's .. yes, we are a large family!). Ever since I am working, I could hardly find time to meet them and they have been asking me for that. I had real good time. I, being the oldest of my cousins (& for some other better reasons :-D ), am very dear to most of my elders. Being pampered by so many people is always a good feeling. I didn't have to move even for getting water to drink! :-D. I mean before I could start off for anything, I was asked what I wanted. And despite me saying that I shall do that myself, I was not allowed to :-).
Then, I had couple of interesting discussions with my second cousins (who are almost my age. In fact, couple of months older) about farming. The problems & difficulties they have to face & the solutions that they have found for some of those problems. Can you believe that the interest rate for the loan to buy a tractor is around 12-19% for farmers while that for car loan is around 6-8% for people who earn a lot more!! So much of research is being done for farming but no one cares if the results of these research is actually reaching the root level. Apart from that, I overheard (i.e. I was there but was not a part of) a few discussions, one of which was really disheartening. I feel terribly bad about it because it relates to my dearest cousin sister & I can't do anything about it.
I came back to Kanpur on 9th evening, Spent next 3 days meeting friends and relatives. A discussion with one of my old friends was really funny. He had deduced that the sun actually rises from north-east!! Also that you will get closer to sun and hence feel more hot, if you move towards east. I wonder how he had passed 10+2 exams and, for that matter, all the other exams :-) :-). But then, he has always been deducing 'facts' from incorrect basis. No disrespect for him intended, but I had a good time discussing these issues and convincing him that he was wrong.
Chats with Rani bhabhi are generally very interesting. She likes to talk a lot and she does not give me any chance to get bored. I get to know about a lot of stories about so many people everytime I visit her. Generally, I don't like to listen about the stuff that has no relation with me. But she knows the art of telling those stories! Although this time, I had thought that it would be different because she has just gone through an operation. But she defied my expectations and she was in such a jovial mood that I can't explain.
I also met couple of other relatives but with them it is more of a formal talk. I also get to meet my friend Shweta . And man!! Irrespective of what she writes in her blog, she sure likes Cal for that was apparent from her appearance. :-P
I came back to Delhi on 13th. Return journey was, unfortunately, not as peaceful as it normally is, thanks to those snoring people around me. Those who know me, would understand that if I had problems with their snoring how loud it would have been!
Apart from this trip home, there was this sad incident. My flatmate CV fell ill. He suffered with typhoid and had to be admitted to hospital. Good news is that he is in sound health now except the weakness. In fact, he came to office today.
In other updates - On 15th, our cricket team had a cricket match with KPMG team and we lost. I was not part of team. So, most of the time I and Partha were practising on nets. And because of that my left elbow and right shoulder are still stiff. I guess I should be more regular with sports now that 'Diamond/Veloce' project is over and I am not that busy.
Enough for today, I think. There are some more updates. I Shall come back with those and those I already promised next time, probably :-).
-gauraw

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you writing. Looks like a family post though :)

-- Akshaya

Anonymous said...

:-)

-gauraw